Thursday, February 17, 2011

December 8, 2010 4 Year Old Shots

I took Katelyn to the Pediatrician for her four year old shots. I did not realize she was going to get so many -- four shots, a thumb prick and the flu vaccine. She was so happy and enjoyed talking to the doctor. When it came time to get her thumb pricked, she was excellent. She watched with a smile on her face while the man took "ketchup" from her thumb.

Then the four shots came -- two in each thigh. My poor baby. The look of surprise on her face and then the big tears.

Katelyn did not stop crying EVER. She cried leaving the doctor's office; she cried while driving in the car all the way back to school; and she was still crying when I walked her into school.

Immediately after getting her shots in the doctor's office, she asked me (through tears) if she was going to peel. I said "no" and she cried harder. While driving back to school, she asked me this same question several times and all those times I said "no" and then she would cry harder. Finally I asked her what she meant by "Peel" and to explain to me because she kept getting so upset at my answer. She stated "Am I going to get better?" and I replied "Do you mean heal?" and she said "yes". Poor thing kept thinking she was not going to get better everytime I said "no"! I told her "heal" not "peel"!

We are also always getting onto Katelyn about eating healthy. She is our junk food kid. She loves chocolate like her Mama. We are always telling her she needs to eat her fruits and vegetables for her body to be healthy. Also while driving and while she is still crying, she asked me why the doctor put the shots in her body. I told her it was to make her body healthy. She continued to cry and I heard her say "I promise to eat my fruits and vegetables but don't make me go back to the doctor." I about choked -- I almost laughed out loud -- poor thing. Yes, I explained to her how shots were necessary as well as eating healthy.

When we arrived at her school, she limped out of the car -- said she couldn't walk. I picked her up and carried her in. The Director walked out of her office to greet us and find out why Katelyn was crying -- Katelyn said to her "I got shot"! After choking off another laugh (because the things she was saying were just too funny), I explained to the Director she had just received her shots. My poor sweet girl!